Restoration: The Meeting House, 2014
Vermont Senator Patrick Leahy helped us formally open the renovated Bentley Hall following Green Mountain College’s 177th commencement ceremony in 2014. The Queen Anne-Colonial Revival house, built in 1900 and historically known as the C. W. Humphrey House, underwent substantive renovations, and now serves as a community center for the town of Poultney and the college. The project won a 2014 Preservation Trust of Vermont award for creative re-purposing of a historic building.
Re-Use: Poultney Small Business Development Center, 2009
The building that towers at the intersection of Main Street and Depot Street was erected c.1908 by Charles Humphrey for the weekly newspaper, the Journal Press. It was designed by the architect, William L. Towne, and the concrete blocks for the building were produced on the site. Over the years, the building has housed numerous activities, including a barbershop, lawyer’s office, clothing store, and post office. Two bowling alleys were formerly on the second story and a community center and theater were on the third followed by an amusement center in the 1940s and a corner drug store has been in the building since at least the 1930s.
When longtime Poultney print shop owner and PDRC member Chuck Colvin decided to retire, he knew he didn’t want to call it quits. The lifelong businessman wanted to help other entrepreneurs realize their dreams. His vision led to the development of the Poultney Small Business Center, a three-story 20,000-square-foot business rental space that opened in 2009. Chuck felt if he offered Vermont entrepreneurs retail, office and production space at very low rents, he would be able to revitalize the space and the community, while also helping business start-ups get their feet on the ground. The building is now home to artist studios, classrooms, a frame shop, a clothing boutique, the Poultney 2020 inspired Stone Valley Arts Committee, and many more small-scale, local ventures.
Re-Use: Williams Machine Co to VEMAS, 2006
The old-tech Williams Machine Co. becomes the new, high-tech VEMAS, utilizing two old structures in the process and in-filling with industry that employs.
Restoration: The Stonebridge Visitor’s Center, 2005
The Stonebridge Inn, an historic 1808 building listed on the National Historic Registry, has been a Poultney landmark for 200 years. It suffered a terrible fire in 1996, and many though that demolition was its only future. But through the persistent efforts of local citizens and the tireless leadership of our Town Manager, Jonas Rosenthal, more than a dozen state and federal grants were awarded, local funds were raised, and tens of thousands of dollars in materials and labor were donated. Today the Stonebridge stands a rue phoenix arisen from the ashes, once again serving the community as the home for a pre-school center, the Poultney Foodshelf, the Poultney-Mettowee Natural Resource Conservation District Office, and the Travel and Tourism Information Services Center sponsored by the Poultney Area Chamber of Commerce.